Sunday, July 1, 2012

July 1 - Day 71 - Rolling North Over Hill, Dale, & Dead Volcanoes

From a campsite along East Fork Carson River (approx Mile 1024.5) to campsite (approx Mile 1048.5) south of Ebbett's Pass.

Total PCT Miles Hiked Today: 24

Dionysus here.

The terrain is finally giving us a bit of a break from the crazy climbs and high passes (AND fewer mozzies // Hallelujah). Today we only had three climbs dispersed over 24 miles and all under 800 feet.

Sean took this photo of Pan and me having coffee by early morning light.




We kind of took it easy and glided through the hike. Lots of interesting rock formations --everything from the typical polished granite to the recently popular pumice and other volcanic to some weirdly beautiful basalt columns at two different peaks and even softly eroding chalk mounds (I wonder how they got there!). [bad reception on the iPhone means no photos - boo hoo].


The biggest hiccup of the day involved me at a major carb deficit and turning into a bitchface as a result. Ick. Sorry guys. Anyone who's traveled with me knows I get grumpy if I don't eat enough. Unfortunately one theme of this hike is not being able to eat enough.

Otherwise it was a peaceful day of silent observations and personal musings. Plus, we found a tiny pocket of reception in one of the passes so we ordered milk and TERRY PRATCHETT NOVELS for Sierra City. Joy has returned. I'm so excited to have a rich distraction from my own thoughts - we've all reflected on how bored of our own ruminations we get out here -- hours of quiet walking is both blessing & curse. Bring on Granny Weatherwax.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment